HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - plans/designs
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2008, 09:36 AM
burniegoeasily
Dominant Buck

Default RE: plans/designs

ORIGINAL: Seif5034

now i have a new question. if i want to glue on a backing,how many pieces do i need to apply? (thehow-to i read used 3 ply of drywall tape)do i glue it before or after roughing out the basic bow shape?

what's a good glue to use?
Backing only needs one layer. You can also use linine, raw hide, or a thin strip of wood. Hickory being the best. Backing just reinforces the core to keep it from splintering. As for shaping, i shape after putting on the backing. If I use something like bamboo, I cut the shape out on the bamboo first, then glue it one, then shape the rest.

badiuk6
Red oak is easy to work with, but takes lots of set. Id go with Hickory. Much better wood than red oak. If you are bound to use oak, use white oak. Its better than red. But if you have access to oak, you can probably find hickory.

As for snake skin, ive done it. It looks great, but does nothing as a backing, thats why most people put it over glass. Use a two part epoxy. The only problem with it, you need a stringer to string the bow or you will booger up the skin. But it does look great.

I have to agree, Osage (bo d arch, hedge apple, spider apple, horse apple, or any other name) is a great bow wood. It is kinda hard to work with and many times needs to be straightened with a heat gun or caul and oven. Id suggest another wood to learn with. Reason being; its not as cheap as other woods and a little harder to work with. Ipe (brazilian walnut) is an awsome wood as well. I think its easier to work with than osage, but just as expensive. I do love osage and it is the perfered wood for self bows. I like Ipe in laminates and composite board bows. But to learn, id stick with hickory. Grain is almost perfect, Its easy to work with, better set than red oak, real easy to find, and not very expensive. If you mess up your first bow, no big deal.