HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Savage 99 .308 - scoped or peep sights?
Old 02-11-2008, 10:22 PM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Savage 99 .308 - scoped or peep sights?

thats all personal choice and what your plan to do with it...

here in PA i dont think i'll ever hunt with a deer rifle without a scope...but thats because i have to count points before shooting...i can always spot bone...but now i gotta count the points...just like a scope for that. my style of hunting, by the time id get binocs up, it would be gone...

i also prefer a variable power scope....just personal prefrence. for normal deer hunting a 2-7 or 3-9 is plenty...i just like a scope on low power for 99% of my hunting...but i like to know i can crank it up to 9x if i need to reach out there...most of my deer have been killed within 40yds of me...think 1 was 75 and 1 was 150ish...never took the scope from 3 or 4x...because alot of them come by at 20-30yds..the woods here are thick and alot of time its close shootin...

assuming your deer hunting or similar with the rifle...but, peeps can be just as accurate and are easy to get on target quick if you learn to use them...if your shots arent normally far they are a great option...id probably shoot a peep on a pump or lever gun if i didnt have to count to 4 before pulling the trigger...