HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What the heck is going on???
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Dubbya
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What the heck is going on???

This is how I look at it... you can take it for what it's worth. After you boil down all the form and equipment stuff, it comes to two things that you have to do correctly.

1.) Is to make a clean shot (not make an early release or whatever...)
2.) know the yardage (or at least be close)

If you practice a lot, the clean shot part should come naturally over time. Granted, we all make mistakes at times but if you consistantly make clean shots that takes that portion out of the equation. Then it comes down to estimating your yardage... the only way to get good at that is to do it. Don't shoot from known yardages. Pick a spot as GMMAT has suggested and shoot from it, then use your rangefinder to check the distance.

Here are some of the little things that I do (my brain may have issues, I'm aware of that)...

When I'm at a store or in a parking lot, I'll guess the yardage to something... a curb, a shopping cart, whatever and then pace it off to see how close I am.

Another thing is that I carry my rangefinder with me a lot. I'll pull up to something in my car and guess the yardage to a stop sign or something and then range it (people give you weird looks, but I'm okay with that).

Just something to give thought to anyway...