HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Corn is taking over
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 05:10 PM
buckclub
Fork Horn

Default RE: Corn is taking over

Just some sporadic thoughtson my disaproval ofUS corn Ethanol:
This is a matter of a global food vs. fuel battle.
With countries like China and India with a growing middle class, they want a taste of meat, and gas in the car. Who is going to feed them?
The US can import brazilian sugar cane ethanol cheaper than what we can produce it from corn here. With corn, soy, wheat, and barley prices doubling over the last 2 years, we are experiencing a ripple effect in virtually all food products, esp. products made from grains and animals that need to eat these grains no matter what the cost of them. The consumer is footing the bill. What will food prices be like in 2022 when 7 times the amount of corn acres will be needed to meet the current goverment mandates. 7 times the amount of acres will be shifted out of US and world (US exports) stocks that would go to feed livestock. America has always had a 'cheap food policy', meaningthe percentage of ourincome that goes to food isone of the lowest4 countries i believe (around 8-11% if i remember right).lets keep it that way. Its too late if we dont get away from corn ethanol.
The subsidies on corn ethanol should be eliminated.Put the saved money towards finding new more efficent means of producing energy to reduce our dependence