HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Remington AWR in 300UM
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2003, 11:06 PM
BTRACK

Default RE: Remington AWR in 300UM

Yea - this is a long ranger - for just that - at the range at least at first.

I' d like the ability (practice pending) to take longer shots but this is more of an expesive experiment up front. It could turn into a great wyo/west mule and elk /bear killer but up front, I' ll stick with what (gun) I know. Made that mistake last year and it cost me " deerly" !

I hunt the eastern whitetails also but use my titanium 06 for that with a low power setting. spoiled rotten this year!

Depending on the scope I choose - weight not being an issue because the thing weighs in at only 6.3/4 lb I could go to a stronger scope but the 4.5 lower power would be more versitile for pushing the aspens/cottonwoods and dark timber. I could get a premier reticle if needed for ranging or compensating maybe but that would take a few hundered dollars in research shooting to get things perfect relitive to drop and all!

What' s the pbr on the 300rum and what are you guys shooting? I have gathered that the scirocco' s aren' t performing although if I did use it on deer I would' nt see any reason to use the 180s. Maybe it' s like the 300wm where you get better downrange trajectory with the 180s? Just like things as flat as possible and want to use all of that 26" barrel. Any idea what drops your seeing beyond the 300 mark at 7000-12000ft?

I' m looking for the rifle but no one in my area can find one or get me a price on one yet. There are some used worked ones on the net for 995 and 1250 but leary of them. rather plan the changes if any myself for that kind of money.

I' ll goggle over the scope power question for a few more nights and probably wait to get the gun and try one of my VIIIs on it first to see what it looks like. I have no problems with running deer and timber on my scope and usually keep them low at all times unless actually shooting long range - but to tell you the truth, I' ve never so much as peaked through a scope over 14pwr before and when I hunt the west (unless in the timber or pushing mr big in sage over my head - I almost always keep my scope at about 6.5 - just out of habit. Maybe I' ll find I' m missing the boat? Have to think about it and see what the trade off would be if it made it to the field on a big hunt - close and far. Imagine it will!