HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Farm Land
Thread: Farm Land
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Robert L E
Fork Horn

Default RE: Farm Land

I am assuming that most of what is in the picture is the land you said that you have permission to hunt on. It looks like about 350 acres but the fields are irregular in shape compared to where I hunt. To me it looks quite good. There are a couple of patches that look like they could hold resident deer and numerous brushy fence lines and brushy drainage ditches that can act as travel lanes.

Start by asking the owners where they see the deer moving. I think it could be quite good there particularly if groups of hunters in the big woods to the East and West keep deer moving. If you have this to yourself you may have a gem depending on deer density and pressure on the neighboring properties. If you do not have it to yourself, ask the other hunters.

If you have a really active gun season I would try to be sure to hunt the weekends when deer may be pushed off of surrounding properties.

It looks like there are small fields where, if you sit at the down wind edge, you can cover all the way across the field (and I'm talking with a slug gun). There are also a lot of the isolated patches out in the fields that make a good place to sit. An advantage of these is you do not disturb your deer holding cover and there is almost nothing to block a shot.

Bob