HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - close encounters
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2008, 01:00 PM
gmil6184
Typical Buck

Default RE: close encounters

My coolest but probably most heartbreaking close encounter took place prob four or five years ago. I was bow hunting on this ridge and this nice 8 point, not huge but big for where we hunt, came strolling in and was walking right down the trail that crossed in front of my stand at 20 yards. He came behind a big tree and I went to full draw and he stopped behind it, with only his head exposed. He then proceeded to beat the living tar out of this little sapling. Well you can just imagine what this did to my nerves, I ended up drawing and letting it down two or three times before he finally offered me a shot. This is the heartbreaking part though, I ended up hitting him much farther back then I wanted and he took off leaving hardly any blood. Spent two days looking for him in vain, never did find him. I couldn't have been more sick to my stomach about the whole thing, and even to this day when I think about it i kick myself. It sure was cool to get to sit there and watch him make that rub though.