HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Illinois Deer Management
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2008, 09:36 AM
salukipv1
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Illinois Deer Management

Wisconsin I believe has an "earn a buck tag program" meaning you must shoot a doe before you can get a buck tag, I think IL should think about only allowing a 2nd buck tag if you shooot a doe.

And abolishing check stations I think can only have made poachers etc...run wild, I've heard of guys shooting 5 bucks etc.....with their wives' tag, sons etc....which c'mon isn't fair to the rest of us. I thought everyone by now understood QDM? particularly that you want around 1:1 buck:doe ratios. I still don't really understand guys who take a yearling buck in place of a mature doe? What is just any old bucks allure? There's a neighbor near where we hunt who always takes yearling bucks, the only answer I can come up with is supplementing their food with venison and a yearling buck probably has more meat than even a mature doe. Though I wish he would limit his yearling and button bucks and harvest more does. Also you don't need to get the entire state back in check this year, if everyone would practice taking a doe for every buck they took, eventually their heard would balance back to 1:1. Personally I'm not shooting a buck if I'm not putting it on the wall, I'll take does til then. Less I wanted some rattling antlers, which seems like a waste, and possibly shoot a lesser buck for management. But these guys are just shooting anythign with antlers. In IL a 2.5yr old can be a big deer, but by 3.5 they really start to get big in my opinion, if we bumped the avg age up just 1 year, we'd really start seeing some monsters.