HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Information on the H&R Huntsman
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2008, 07:21 AM
Jim22
Spike

Default RE: Information on the H&R Huntsman

I have a Huntsman and like it alot. Very accurate rifle for the price. Great trigger out of the box. As far as swaping barrels you can only put a shotgun barrel on the Huntsman receiver. The factory will not fit a centerfire barrel to it. The Huntsman receiver is supposed to be sent to the factory to have a shotgun barrel to it. Some buy second hand barrels and do it themselves. The cons are: Ramrod is terrible and will break when you least expect it. Works in a pinch but I always carry a breakdown ramrod. Breech plug removal tool causes people to cuss and bust knuckles especially if the breech plug sticks and is difficult to work with once you put a scope on the rifle. The orange primer adapters work well but they allow alot of blowback to get into the receiver which can be nasty to clean up. I upgraded to the 25 acp breech plug which allows you to use 25 acp brass and small rifle primers.The new breech plugseals the breech real well. I don't get any blowback and can remove it with a rachet wrench.
It's a good accurate rifle but needs some upgrades to be truly happy with it. The Encore (I had one before the kids claimed it) is about as accurate, can swap any barrel you want to put one it without sending it to the factory, easy to clean, but costs more. I liked the Encore real well except it did not fit me too good. I'm short with short arms and had to put a youth stock on it and it still felt unbalanced.