HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shameless Gloating
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2008, 12:59 PM
SwampCollie
Nontypical Buck

Default Shameless Gloating

Back in the fall I entered the Weatherby Dream Hunt... where I wrote and essay about my father telling me stories of elk hunting in Colorodo when I was very young. How entertaining a one hour trip in to town could be... my father is an amazing story teller. Dad is getting on in years now, and I wrote about that and how neat it would be to share a hunt like that with him.

Got a certified letter back around new years saying I was a finalist... which knocked me to the wall considering I didn't put a heck of a lot of time into the essay. Signed the forms... mailed it back in.

Just looked on the front porch and found a box from Weatherby. Inside was a personally addressed (to me) and signed copy of Weatherby - The Man, The Gun, The Legend... from Ed Weatherby, as well as a letter stating I had taken third prize... a Mark XXII rifle.. caliber of my choice!

Never won much of anything like this before. A few fly reels at benefit banquets, and luggage and did win a quail hunt at a QDMA event this past fall. But this is really something else! Had to share the excitement! The fiancee was expressing a desire for a .22 of her own... we were looking at Marlins and Savages and Rugers... but it looks like she is going to get a bit of an "upgrade"

http://weatherby.com/_images/products/rifles/_enlarge/m22_big.jpg