HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Overgunned for Whitetail
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2008, 07:46 AM
oldelkhunter
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Overgunned for Whitetail

Because then you'd have no way to justify the purchase of all those other guns! That's why.

If you really want to get a vote, put a suggestion box out near your hunting area and if any of the deer you're shooting suggest otherwise I'd just keep doing what you want.
Out of all these guns the one that irks me the most is my first Elk hunt and picking a caliber, I made the big dumb mistake of reading Jim Zumbos first Elk book and he described appropriate calibers and rifles. My Sako 30-06 Fiberclass wasn't listed in his book. He thought the 06 was an ok round. That really planted the seed and I didn't use the Sako(one of the best shooting rifles I have ever owned period)and bought a magnum blaster remington 700 that froze up on the hunt because we were hunting in near blizzard conditions and Getting in and out of a truck repeatedlyduring the hunt caused a bunch of condensation to build in the bolt body which caused an unbelievable amount of rust(you know the sage advice about using a thouroughly degreased firing pin and bolt) [:@]. Thankfully I don't own that 700now. I would howeverpay a great sum to get that exact Sako back