HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bowhunting dangerous game!
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Hunter_59
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting dangerous game!

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

Always have a PH with heavy firepower behind them? Damn! I knew there was something I was leaving behind!

A bow is an extremely lethal and efficient weapon. You can't even make the comparison between it and a small caliber rifle. Their means of killing are completely different and the methods for hunting with each are completely different. Until you understand that, you shouldn't be hunting with a bow... for anything!
I completely understand the difference between the two, but I've seen on the big game forum the many posters that get lamblasted for using a 270 for elk. The 270 has probably killed more elk than any other firearm. You change weapons and shoot a grizzly with a broadhead and no one says a thing about it! I know the bear will die with a well placed shot but if not for the PH, maybe not quick enough to save the shooter! There are definately people on here that can and have killed dangerous game with a bow and the only problem I have is the presence of a PH to back them up. If there is a need for a backup, doesn't it smell of being a little "under-gunned"? Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing anyone, I'm shakin' in my boots at the sight of a big buck or a huge bull elk coming in. It just looks a little silly on tv when, after the arrow is released, it takes sometimes several shots to bring down the attacking beast!