HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Slugs
Thread: Slugs
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 07:43 AM
kickin_buck
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Slugs

gmil, I love the way you say you were "forced" to hunt with slugs. I grew up hunting in Indiana and now live in Illinois. Both states are shotgun only, so I have hunting my whole life with shotguns. While the older smooth bore guns were less accurate (I would not shoot over 50 yards with them), the new slug guns are amazing. I have a H&R 12ga with a fully rifled barrel, shots at 150 yards not unheard of. In fact I have shot pumpkins with it at 200 yards, while I would never take that shot at a deer, I would never feel like I was "forced" or at any type of disadvantage because I had a shotgun in my hands. Goosehunter, you have to shoot several brands of slugs to find the ones that fly best out of your gun. If you have a smooth bore, check out the rifled slugs, try a few and see which one pattern best for you. Just because a buddy is shooting one slug, it does not mean it pattern well for you. I do agree that scope is very important; look around you can find slug barrels for your gun and mount a scope on it. Find the slug that fly’s best for you and then you will have a deer killer for sure. Good luck!