HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Long Range Shooting at Game Animals
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2003, 01:36 PM
John B 45

Default RE: Long Range Shooting at Game Animals

Thanks for all the input, guys. I will try and answer some of the questions asked.

Brokenrack,

I agree, long range or short range the animal doesn’t care. They would just as soon not be shot at all.

Russ otten,

We will explain the work required to be able to hit at longer distances. That’s a part of the show. We will not be exclusively long range by any means.

I used an iron-sighted revolver hunting antelope and whitetails this year. The long range is just something that happens once n a while although we practice it a lot.

Kodiakhuntmaster,

Thanks for the input. Sorry but we don’t have any shotgun hunts on film but we do have some handgunning (my favorite way to hunt).

Subsonic,

Actually we do know exactly what is around the animal. The reality of such shot is the area has to be open to be able to see very far. Most situations are what we call cross-canyon shots with a safe backstop in the event something goes wrong.

All distance are measured with laser rangefinders so I am either a bald face liar or things happened as reported. No mistaken or guessed at ranges.

I have a standing bet: For a proper amount we will recreate any shot we have on video. Hit or miss, winner takes all.

I never said we used any “ranging shots”. We fully expect to make the first shot the only shot.

If we had to edit out much footage because of missed shots we would not be able to get enough footage to make a show. It just plain costs us real money to blow an opportunity by taking shots we cannot make regularly. We don’t ever fire what I refer to as “Hopers” (I hope I make that shot).

Keep up the response. It helps us decide what we are going to do.