HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Long Range Shooting at Game Animals
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2003, 08:26 AM
RICHIE3

Default RE: Long Range Shooting at Game Animals

I am not in agreement with this show featuring the long range shots mentioned. I will admit it would be interesting to see, but we have enough " Quigley' s" out there without glamourizing the unthinkable by many.
Taking shots at 1000 yards is idiotic in my opinion from a safety factor. And then to suggest that they use the first shot for " ranging" purposes is ludicris. What happens when the animal doesn' t drop? What happened to the spent round? Did it gut shot the animal, or did it lay open the spine or another part of the animal, giving it subject to disease??

500-1000 yard shots should be made at silouettes, not a live animal.

It is also a fact that most unbelievable shots that are made, were not made at the range specified.

Shows like this leave the hunting community wide open to negative opinion by others, and encourage idiots to try these ridiculous shots. I understand that these shots are made by experts in the shooting field, but, where is the sport in it?? Slinging a chunk of lead 1000 yards can be a disaster to anyone in a hunting situation, whether they are an expert or not. It also takes the sportsmanship out of the hunt. If this is what we are going end up idolizing, we might as well give a high powered rifle to anyone and say " Go get' em!" There is no woodsmanship, no hunter' s skill in the stalk, no reason to know the ways and traits of the game being hunted, and no reason to learn it, period. Why would there be?? Anyone, with very little time and no experience, can get within a 1000 yards of anything, no matter how cautious the animal. If this is what the next big thing or craze is in the excitement side of hunting, or what it takes to get someone excited about the hunt, it is time I hang it up. Because sooner than later, someone will regret doing this.

Here is another question, where is the knock down power at these ranges?
I am no rifle expert, but I do know that things slow down greatly at these ranges. And the drop rate could be magnified and completely different from round to round if the proper ammunition is not used. Add this to the human error factor, and then tell me that this is a reasonable shot.

I know that alot of people have made an incredible shot on an animal. But if we were to sit back and think about it, I bet most of them would realize that the shot should not have been made.

If you want to impress me, knock a siluoette down at 1000 yards.

If you want to depress me, screw up on a 1000 yard shot at an animal.

Which likely will happen first??