HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shotgun Mic's on cameras
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 04:02 PM
Justin
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shotgun Mic's on cameras

If you want the best quality sound that you can get, you should be using both a wireless mic and a shotgun mic. The mic that comes on your camera is decent and works pretty well when your subject is right in front of the camera and at a relatively close distance, but unfortunately that doesn't happen too often in the hunting woods. The wireless mic not only allows the hunter's voice to be heard on tape when he's not even in the picture, but also provides a way for him to communicate effectively with the cameraman, provided he's wearing a set of headphones. The shotgun mic will allow you to pick up the sounds of nature much better, and in particular any noises your quarry may be making while it approaches. A distant buck grunting, deer running in the leaves, birds chirping, and other nature sounds really help to add to the overall quality of your production in the long run.

I'm still new to this whole video thing so I may have left something out or mis-stated something. If I did hopefully some of the more seasoned vets can help me out.