HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Montana Elk Decoy on Rifle Hunt?
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 09:23 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Montana Elk Decoy on Rifle Hunt?

As far as which montana to buy if you do buy one, Elk I - Side/looking back view is my fave.

FWIW I've used mine during regular rifle season. Let me clarify that it is bulls only, so being no antlers it should be safe right their (). However I still only used in areas where I knew I was the only one that would see it (aka private land). I can rely an experiencefrom another party where they had two guys do a creep on the decoy during the same season and to boot it was also on posted/private land. So use caution and never assume! If I were to use it where I thought even a remote chance of another hunter seeing it, I would add some hunter orange to it..like a hanger chief around it's neckbut no loose ends to blow. Being 2 'd and blaze orange this should slow even the smallest of minds..one would think or HOPE[]!

As to calls pick up 1 or more cow calls and start practicing ASAP. Lots of sources to hear/learn sounds and then mimic, a month may not be long enough to get down (especially in the heat of the moment). While calling is an art that doesn't come in a month or even a year or two, I think going without at least a single cow tone in your pocket is silly. Even if it is just to stop or draw a passing bull out for a clearing it worth the effort and minimal expense. I know simple cow calls have bought me opportunities and I wouldn't be caught without one anytime I was chasing elk. Rut or not it's a vocalization, not unlike a deer grunt, may just be the help you need to squeeze one off to notch your tag.

Good Luck and enjoy chasingone of themost majestic, fun and toughest game animal in NA. Be prepared, Elkgetsin your blood and stays.