HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I'm so lost?
Thread: I'm so lost?
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 12:37 PM
Parkerbuckhunter

Default RE: I'm so lost?

Hey bowhuntingnoob, After you get your rig set up i think you are going to find out there is alot more about archery than you ever thought there was.Dont be scared though, there is alot of good advice on this forum page but having a local proshop help explain things first will help you sort out the confusingthings about archery. There are alot of termsused that most people dont understand untill they become archers.After getting back into archery since i was a kid it is almost become an obsession. I think i will try to explain some of theprimary thingsyou should know but anyone who knows more about it please feel free to step in. Trying to be vague.

1. Arrows- There are 2 basic types: alluminum(cheaper and straighter?)and carbon (more expensive and more durable) <keep in mind the dollar amount spent on each will determine the quality>.and some madewith both.
To find the proper arrow length a basic rule of thumb is to measure your wing span from the tips of your middle fingers and divide that # by 2.5.
2. Fletching- There a quitea few variations of fletching but right now all you need to know is that it is the feathers or vanes on the back of the arrow that straightens the arrow out in flight.
3. Nock Point- This is the spot on the bow string where you place the arrow it is usually located inline or slightly above the riser restmounting holes.
4. Bow and Cam types- 3 types 1. Single or hard Cams 2. Dual or Soft/Medium Cams 3. Cam & 1/2
Single cam bows have an idler roller on the top limb and a cam on the bottom limb
Dual cam have cams on top and bottom
Cam &1/2 have two cams but cable placement differs from dual cams
Each style bow has different pro's and cons which are debated on the forum
5.Pin Sights Many variations but they are what you use to aim
6 Peep Sights- Device that is put on string to line up with pin sight.
7. Arrow Rest Many types available many types on newer bow are some version of a shoot through or fall away. Basically it is what your arrow rest on when you draw the bow.
8. String Loop. Used for relaese shooters (which is a divice used to fire bow instead of fingers) Small loop of string that is tied to your bow string.
9 Draw length Distance the you have to pull the bow back to anchor (help me out i cant think of anyway else to describe it.)
10 Draw weight The amount of energy to draw the bow ie. 60# , 65# ,45# Adjustable on compound bowsto certain limits

Well i guess that should hit most of the begginer terms but the more you research you'll no doubt learn more than you thought was possible with a simple machine.