HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Spot Hogg Sights
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 06:56 AM
98Redline
Typical Buck

Default RE: Spot Hogg Sights

The number of pins really is a personal preference. Some like 1, some like 3, 5 and then there are us sickos that like 7 pins.

In all reality, if you are whitetail hunting then you should be fine with 3. (20,30,40)
I really don't think I would take a shot at a whitetail past 40 yards, even under optimum conditions, but that is just me.
The extra pins are more for practice or 3D. When you start practicing at longer distances 50 and 60 yards, the extra 2 pins of a 5 pin sight are nice.
When you can consistently hit your target at 50 and 60 then the extra 2 pins of the 7 pin sight are nice.

I think that for most shooters, the 5 pins are more than adequate.

As for the length of the HH vs the Real Deal, I have a real deal and a standard Hoggit. I much prefer the longer length of the Hoggit and HH sights over the stock length of the real deal. I find that the extra sight radius gives me a more accurate shot. I even went so far as to put a sight extension bracket on my Real Deal to push the sight out farther.....works great.

BTW, the micro adjust on the Real Deal still requires an allen wrench to adjust it. It is also a more coarse adjustment than on the Hoggit sights.