HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .30-06 for Coyotes
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2003, 02:52 PM
Nomercy
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .30-06 for Coyotes

Yeah, buyin 180gr loads for coyotes is a BIG waste of money. Most guys that use 180gr for yotes either don' t know what they are doing, or do so because it is the only hard construction cheap .30-06 ammo around them. In 30cal rifles, it' s important to have a very hard bullet on yotes, the bullet is already big enough to do the deed without expanding, as is necessary of smaller diameter bullets.

I STRONGLY advise against using/loading " accelerators" because they suck. It is a great theory, but in practice, it doesn' t work, I believe it is something to do with the separation of the bullet and sabot, it just can' t happen uniformly at that speed and small diameter, so they are INCREDIBLY inaccurate.

Look for a lightweight bullet of hard construction, federal usually has a couple of these loads out in any store they sell in. If you can' t find a lightweight bullet, go ahead with 150gr bullets, again in hard construction.

If you reload, which your post makes it seem you don' t, I' d also advise against using 100gr bullets, they are very accurate at lower velocities in .30-06 at ranges out to 100yrds, but they shed energy in flight very quickly, and become terribly inaccurate and unstable out there past 150yrds. At standard energies (obtained by HIGH velocities), typical rifling rate of .30-06 isn' t able to shoot 100gr bullets, I' ve tried against the advise of my reloading manuals, and basically I had a scatter gun, the bullets exploded upon exiting the barrel.