HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Should Felons own Firearms?
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2008, 04:49 PM
driftrider
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Should Felons own Firearms?

Well...I suppose that if the felony in question was COMPLETELY non-violent in nature (i.e. nobody got hurt OR COULD HAVE GOTTEN HURT as a result of the crime, which includes the dumb a$$s who get a felony rap for multiple DUI's), and there was a sufficient probationary time built into the statute concerning such a restoration of gun rights. I would support something such as a 10 year period after the completion of incarceration where a person had to be crime-free (excepting minor traffic violations) which would serve to prove that the individual in question had gained the good judgement, maturity and respect for the rule-of-law necessary to be trusted with a weapon.

I think that's ultimately what the gun prohibition against felons is all about anyway...judgement, maturity and respect for the laws of society and the lack thereof. One simply doesn't "accidently" commit a felony (violent or otherwise). In order to commit a crime as serious as a felony one must make one or more very bad decisions that lead ultimately to the crime in question. Felonies require either intent or a severe and reckless disregard for the law and the safety or property of others, all of which are indicative of poor judgement, maturity and respect for others. That SHOULD disqualify the individual in question from possessing a weapon for at least a long enough period of time for that individual to prove to society that they are once again trustworthy.

Violent criminals, including those whose crime(s) did not cause actual physical harm to others but put others at serious and immediate risk of harm (for example...habitual DUI's, arson, kidnapping, etc...), in my opinion, should lose their right to possess a firearm for LIFE. If the felon in question wanted to be able to enjoy the hunting and shooting sports, they should have thought about that before they decided to commit their crime. Since they didn't, I can't feel sorry for them. If they need a hobby, they could always take up knitting or crafts.

Mike