HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Getting your deer out of the woods?
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2008, 09:30 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Getting your deer out of the woods?

Someone told me that mules and horses have to be trained to drag out dead animals because of the blood, smelland stuff. Whether that is trueI could not say. And whether it is hard to train a horse or mule to do so, I have no idea. My friend that owns afarm. He bought a half Belgium/Percheron mare. That great big monster horse could pull logs with ease, pulled a sleigh around in the snow, but she would not pull a deer. When he shot that nice buck back in the alder swamp and called me to help get it out, I told him to get that hay burner of his. We tried to walk her back into a swamp up to that big buck he shot. She smelled or saw it, and that was that. She turned around and walked out. And when they want to leave, there is little you can do to them other then shoot them. So we walked out out to the edge of the field and tied her there. When we got that deer pulled out that far we thought we could tie a long rope to her. NO way. She balked. So I then went and got my ATV which I could have done in the first place and got that far in. There are some draw backs to ATV's as some places they just can not go. .

I once brought out two deer of my own and one other deer from afriend of mine, all at the same time with the ATV. I had one on the back rack, one on the front rack and one thrown over the seat. I had to throw the one over the seat as it kept falling off the rack when I tried to climb out of a steep gully. It is amazing what an ATV can pull. I even use mine to drag out logs for firewood cutting. It sure beats the old days of dragging logs out by hand or in chunks.