HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Return? What would you do?
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2008, 07:44 AM
alleyyooper
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Return? What would you do?

Try this. It works. I found this when trying to find some thing to stop the rusting on my table saw top.
I drink tea instead of coffee so have a lot of used tea bags they have life left in them for this use.

I have a solution (pardon the pun:-)), and this is not a wind up, although I thought it was myself when I first heard of it - until I tried it and I've used nothing else since!!
The answer lies in every kitchen cupboard (at least in the UK, and probably over most of the world.) It is TEA!!
Get some ordinary run of the mill everyday tea bags, boil about a pint (1/2 litre) of water and add about 4 or 5 tea bags,or teaspoons full if you can't get bags, ie. a strong mix of tea. Stir well and let this brew for a few minutes and remove the bags or strain the liquid to remove the tea leaves. Let it cool down for 10 minutes or so and then put your rusty steel parts in there, fully submerged. Depending on how rusty they are, leave them in there for between 1 and 8 hours - keep having a look now and again to see how they are doing.
What is happening I am told, is that the (very weak) Tannic acid is attacking the rust, neutralising it and turning the residue into a rust preventitive. I am not a chemist, so I can not vouch for the exact truth of this. What I do know is that when the parts are removed from the tea, they are a grey/blue colour, and when rubbed up with very fine wire wool and oil, take on a very acceptable steel appearance with any deep pitting left a dark grey.
After this treatment, clean by your usual methods (ultrasonic tank or whatever). The parts don't seem to suffer any harm, brass doesn't seem to be affected and the bits don't go rusty again, AND IT'S CHEAP!
The more sceptical amongst you may prefer to use either Earl Grey or Lapsang Suchong for delicate parts such as carriage clocks and traditional strong Yorkshire Brew for more robust items:-)
Try it, IT WORKS. My table saw top never rusts now.

[hr]

Al