HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Anyone shooting a 6MM
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2008, 07:32 AM
cjwink
Typical Buck

Default RE: Anyone shooting a 6MM

ORIGINAL: Pavomesa

I've owned several Model 600 Mohawks in everything but a 6MM. Muzzle blast from one of these short rifles can be incredible. Had one in .308 and when I would take it to the shooting range, other people would pack up and leave.

But anyway, they are traditionally accurate little rifles and wonderful to carry and hunt with. The biggest gripe against them was there VERY short action and magazine. They could be tedious to reload. Supposedly there was some flaw in their safety and Rem. lost a wicked law suit over the subject where some kid in Texas accidentally shot his father in the back with one and the lawyers blamed it on the rifle. So the story goes, this was why Rem stopped making them. We used to jokingly call these rifles, "Back Shooters." I think the whole lawsuit was BS, but if you can get enough anti-gunners on a jury, apparently no one cares. Get careless with any gun and it can bite.
We had some issues with them in the past. The problem was that the gun would go off when you closed the bolt.. You got to be extra careful with them. I won't forget the couple of mornings we would climb up in the stand and Dad would load the gun.. Closing the bolt oh so careful as to not fire off the gun... I do believe he sent the gun back in to get it fixed.. Glad they taught me to never load the gun before getting setteled in the stand and always point the barrell in a safe direction while loading it..