HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Return? What would you do?
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2008, 10:30 PM
RobertSubnet
Nontypical Buck

Default Return? What would you do?

Greetings all.

A short time ago I won an auction for a Ruger Old Army on Gunbroker. Well today it arrived...woohoo!

Mostly.

The auction described it as being "practically new." I interpret that among other thingsas without any rust.

Well the pistol does look pretty good, however thereis a rust spot/patch,about 1/8th of an inch in length.It is in the corner/crevice where the front blade sight meets the barrel. It appears to wrap around the front of the sight. There is also some weird looking green stuff in that crevice-maybe some left over cleaner?

Below is a link to a quick picture I took of it. The quality isn't the best, but you get an idea of what I am describing:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-1/86657/sight.jpg

Here is a link to the auction where you can read the description (if interested):

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=89572797

I think if I were looking at this gun in a pawn shop I probably would have still bought the gun, it was $500.

But I am hoping to get some opinions from you guys:

1. Is the rust not that big of a deal? Or should I return the gun immediately?

2. Visually I can live with the rust. What concerns me is will this grow and eventually wreck the sight/barrel? Fortunately I live in Arizona so humidity is not much of a problem here.The gun will be used in the field, not just hung on the wall to be gawked at. So that rust patchwould be effected by what humidity we do have. As well as cleaning fluids.

3. Is this the kind of thing a gunsmith could easily clean up/remove? I don't know anything about removing rust from guns but blueing is not easy if I'm not mistaken.

There is no other rust that I can see. There are some typical,wear marks on the cylinder where the action rotated the cylinder. These are not the least excessive. I would guess about 200 rounds got put through the gun. Otherwise everything else looks OK

If you were in this situation what would you do?

Thank you. As always, your comments are much appreciated.
~Robert