HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - varmint gun setup
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2008, 09:43 PM
coyote#68
Typical Buck

Default RE: varmint gun setup

I shoot a ruger m77 markII compact for most of my coyote hunting in 223,I sometimes use my rem. mod700SPS in 243 if I'm hunting near fields where shots are possibly more than 250yards.I sometimes use my turkey gun when hunting in the woods.As for your question about what to use,you can hunt and kill coyotes with almost any centerfire rifle,by knowing their limitations,the 223 cal is great,the 243 is also great,it is easy to find reasonably priced guns in these calibers for under $300 And scopes have came a long way in the last few years,you can buy a less expensive scope and still have a clear,usable scope that works great.I shot a whitetail doe this year at 368yards using my daughters rem700 youth gun and a cheap BSA 3x12x50 scope,I see no need to put an expensive scope on her gun when she dont hunt alot.New England Firearms makes very accurate single shot rifles,Stevens model 200 is a good accurate bolt action for under$300 either would be a good choice scope and all for about $350,I would check my local Wal---- dept. store.[I didn't say that word,round here gunshops consider that word cursing],but local stores in my area have several of last years rem 700 combo's with scopes for $300 or less due to the newer model 770 coming along,hope this helps.