HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Heavy or light?
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2008, 10:00 AM
lemoyne
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Heavy or light?

Might as well add a bit to this discussion. There is no such thing as a perfect bullet for all circumstances or all guns. Those who live where its thick and can only see 50 yds when they are lucky and those who live on the great plains and need to be able to shoot as far as they can accurately dont need to agree they need different things.
Where I lve I can run into both sets of circumstances and I also travel to hunt so I may need to consider that, then you also have to consider what the gun will hold a minute of angle with if you are going to take 200yd shots.
My solution is first to find what the gun likes and that includs sabots I find them MORE important to minute of angle accuracy than the bullet also to find the bullets and loads that will hold that accuracy consistantly.
What I ended up with on the new Triumph so far is
200gr SW with 110gr 777-FF win 209 S Works good at all ranges for all game
250 gr Gold Dot with 110gr 777-FF 209 win S Deer load for bang flop
300gr Gold Dot with 120 gr 777- FF 209SFor Elk and larger game
The one thing I would point out here is that a 200gr 40 cal bullet has both high SD179 and high BC .269 and gives the advantage of being light and fast to go with it. Shooting a heavy bullet in itself gives only SD the 40 cal 200gr bullet has around the same SD as a 320 gr bullet so as long as it holds together it gets excellant penatration and when it comes to flat shooting 3 "high at 100yds and 4"low at 200yds is what I get.
Have fun Lee