HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Heavy or light?
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Tahquamenon
Typical Buck

Default RE: Heavy or light?

No single answer here.

I would also say it depends on the type of game and the terrain you are hunting and the type of ML you are carrying. I try to match the ML/load to the type of hunt I plan on doing.

For traditional ML's a PRB is what I hunt with ora conical of various weights in my sidelocks with 1:48" rifling or faster. Slower rifling ML's are PRB only.

For 50cal inlines anywhere from 240gr on up to 500gr. Saboted or conical.

For example if I am hunting largergame inshort range,heavy cover or brush then I would rather shoot a heavier projectile so to minimize deflection if you shoot through and hit a twig or something.

If I had to pick one bullet weight as my do everything load for inlines it would be a 300gr saboted projectile. Likely a 300gr SST or the like, which is not the absolute best accurate for me but would be viable for large game such as elk on up along with med game such as deer.

For sidelocks then I would stick with the tried and proven PRB as my do everything pick one load and carry a larger caliber ML for larger game.

Really comes down to a combination of the type of hunt, intended game and what proves to be the most accurate load.

M2C,

Tahquamenon