HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Week 2 Scores discussion
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Rick James
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Week 2 Scores discussion

ORIGINAL: M.Hensler/PA

You're a machine. When did you first start shooting competitively?
I wouldnt say that quite, I'm still only a slightly better than average indoor shooter in my local leagues. I do pretty good on the 3D course though. The local indoor league I shoot in has at least2-3 different guys that will average 449-449.6 for a 10 week league....that kind of competition will push you. These guys are shooting more perfect 450 games than they are 449's.......

I shot a bit of competitive 3D when I was in highschool, but probably less than 10 events total. After that I was a backyard archer exclusively until summer of 05' when I started to compete again locally in 3D. Keep in mind I did shoot some decent scores my first year of shooting spots, but I worked for it more than most I know that got to that level as well. I had to quit shooting anything but blank bale and 10 yard games for 3 months when I started working with a coach, and I had a 5-6 month period that I averaged 1000+ arrows a week, I was also single at that time and had (still have) a best friend that happens to hold 2x world titles (NETAA) and more state championships than I can count. That's what pushed me to be a better shooter. Leagues etc........even if you aren't on top it will make you a better shooter when you surround yourself with better shooters and pull yourself out of your comfort zone even if you end up on the bottom or middle of the list when it's all said and done.