HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .30 Gibbs 30-06 improv.
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2008, 11:56 AM
eldeguello
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: .30 Gibbs 30-06 improv.

ORIGINAL: Pioneer2

Feb 2006 Shooting Times has an indepth artical onthis 3 way comparison.The 30-06 AI is the way to go if you must as you can shoot regular 30-06 ammo from it and reload the brass.The Gibbs is a bit more of a P in the A to form cases.None approach 300 mag velocities.Case capacities [win brass]were70.1gr for 30-06,73gr for the AI and 76.3gr in the Gibbs filled with H2O from a syringe.A 66fps veolcity gain with the AI over the 30-06 and 104fps gain in the Gibbs over the 30-06.I have data if you like.................Harold
IMO, there is not enough of a difference between theAI version over the standard .30/'06 to justify the cost of rechambering. (Many will argue with this, of course!!) However, the .30 Gibbs is another proposition entirely! But first, just for the record, let me state that the Gibbs line of cartidge (great, much-maligned and overlooked cartridges!!) ARE a pain-a lot of work, and should only be fooled withby people that really enjoy working with rifles and cartridge-people who enjoy handloading and chronographing ammo, who are looking for real performance.

You cannot SAFELY fire standard ammo in a Gibbs chamber, like you can with an AI chamber. You MUST neck the brass up ro .338" or .35 caliber first, then neck part of the neck (first 0.25" of it) back down with the die adjusted to give a "false shoulder" for a real "feel" when closing the bolt, so headspace is correct before you fireform the case. After that chore, however, you will be rewarded with a rifle that will at least equal if not surpass the performanc level of rounds like the .300 WSM! For example, a .30 Gibbs with a 26" barrel will fire a 180 grain bullet at almost3100 FPS, and come very close to 2900 with a 200-grain bullet.

I've never had a .30 Gibbs. But I once had a 6.5 Gibbs, and it was nearly equal to the .264 Win. Mag., using 10 grains less powder! If I ever do another Gibbs, it will be the .338 Gibbs.

All Gibbs cartridges are identical-same case, different neck diameters. cases have necks 0.25" long, and 35-degree shoulders.