HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - callling deer in early season and rut?
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 06:18 PM
vmartin
Fork Horn

Default RE: callling deer in early season and rut?

yes, the doe bleat or grunt has given me the most responses but not the most aggressive responses. rattling sequences in late rut will have the best opportunity to produce aggressive responses from older deer. for the majority of the year, bucks and does will be curious to just doe grunting. think of it this way, if a buck isn't in his peak testosterone there is a good chance he doesn't want anything to do with other aggressive bucks, but if a doe at any time of the year is saying "me so horny, me love you long time", by grunting to him, he is way more receptive to get some pudy rather than a chance at getting his but kicked in a fight. i think does are more receptive to doe calling due to the fact that they know that a doe won't hassle them for that special something. as for sequences, it is best to not get too loud with doe grunting and don't grunt too often, keep it casual. it isn't so much about sequences but about emphasis, a deer will use tone variations to tell his mood. a fawn may whine just like a kid whines, think "but mommmmmm!" as a child whines, it is like a low to high pitch. all you have to do is go out and do some soft grunts and see what happens, once a doe comes in to your call you will hear her grunting back to reassure your position, it is pretty cool.