HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - how long have you been using one
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 10:33 AM
Tahquamenon
Typical Buck

Default RE: how long have you been using one

I was bitten hardby the ML bug 38 years ago. T/C .45cal Hawken Caplock Kit that my uncle gave me for Christmas. I'll never forget the days we spent putting it together, browning the lock and barrel. Still haveand love it. Still shoots a ragged hole at 50 yards.

Since, still have and have had a bundle of different ML's both traditional and inline styled from T/C, Knight, Remington, H&R, Pedersoli, CVA, Traditions, Italian MFG's. I think I have about 40 at the moment as I sort of went on a spending spree last fall.All production ML's but then I buy cheap and neglected ML's and revive them to either give away as gifts or to sell very cheap to only cover what I have into them. PlusI loan ML's out to friends so they can hunt during ML seasons.

I also sometimes have ML's given to me by folks that either don't use them or have gotten frustrated with one (sidelock or inline). Iwas recently givena really nice .54 T/C Thunderhawk.

Have my beloved50 cal MK-85 in wood furniture that I have had since 1986. Likely the most accurate ML I own.

The most modern are the T/C Encore and Omega's. Looking at getting a Knight Disc Extreme at the moment if the $ is right.

Recently started getting my feet wet with flintlocks. Have a T/C Hawken Flint and DP Frontier Flint. If I can I will be getting a custom long barrelflintlock in 2008 in either 40 or .45 cal.

If it loads from the muzzle then it's great with me. Everything except the CVA "Electra", which is truly a solution to a problem that did not exist.

Pretty much the case with much of the more modern ML's are solutions to problems that did not really exist, even though I am a technocrat and do love the inlines.

My heart however is really with a sidelock of some fashion which I why the next big $ ML is going to be a custom rock lock.

Almost all (95+%) of my hunting and target shootingis done with an ML of some flavor.

Tahquamenon