HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bitzenburger or Jo-Jan
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2008, 11:51 AM
Silver Fox
Spike

Default RE: Bitzenburger or Jo-Jan

ORIGINAL: 98Redline

Helical feathers, or vanes for that matter do stabilize better than anything else out there, however many shy away from them for 2 primary reasons.

1) Fletching contact: Unless you are using a drop away rest, Whisker Biscuit or are very good at tuning, many people have trouble getting adequate clearance when using prong type rests.

2) The thought that the helical will cause too much speed loss: This is really a misnomer, at least for standard hunting distances. With 4" helical feathers, my arrows would shoot within about 1" of the POI of an offset feather fletch out at 35 yards or so. Beyond that the drop of the helicals becomes much more prevalent as they slow down faster.

If you want to give them a shot, then go for it! I shot helical feathers for a number of years with great success. It wasn't until I discovered Blazer vanes with a helical fletch did I stop shooting helical feathers.
I think I'm going to order a Bitz. but I've done so much reading that I think I am evenmore confused now. Mostall places I've read they sayto use a helical fletch for better broadhead stability. Just when I am about convincedto use a helical fletchI read this on a HuntingNet article.

Quote "Long fletching requires more space between the rest arms for proper clearance than shorter fletching simply because the longer fletching wraps around the shaft more. Four-inch helical fletching is recommended with small diameter aluminum and all styles of carbon arrows. This is a compromise between rest clearance for easy tuning and stability for quick recovery and accuracy. If you opt for four-inch fletching to improve arrow flight and couple this with a fast arrow (over about 260 fps) you may have to switch to mechanical broadheads to achieve acceptable accuracy."

Another articlehighly reccomendsto use theright helical but states that there will be a notable loss of arrow velocity.Notable Loss of Arrow Velocity
Notable Loss of Arrow Veloci
Idon't have the clearance problem with the Muzzy Drop Away but what does this mean about havingto switch to mechanical broadheads? I want to remain with the Muzzy 4 blade 90 gr.

I also see you could go straight fletching and use Quick Spin Vanes or by using an offset onAAE Plastifletch vanes which are supposed to have a textured surface to help steer. Any imput here? I guess what I'm looking for is someone to say (according to the equipment I'm using) here is what I think would work best for you from thefletching to the glue.

98Redline, You said you are using Blazers now.. Can you actually put a helical on such a short vane. Why did you choose a Blazer over a 4" vane? Alsowould they reduce speed less, being theyprobably don't weight as much?

Sorry guysfor being a pain, just trying to do as much right the first time as possible!