HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Filming A Hunt
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 08:42 PM
pm69442
Fork Horn

Default RE: Filming A Hunt

Wow....sorry. I'm having some serious issues with posting.

Ok. I'm going to DISAGREE with almost everything that EVERYBODY said.
There are NO ABSOLUTES in shooting video with the EXCEPTION of the way the camera operates...and that is up to the PROFESSIONALISM OF THE OPERATOR.
1.The biggest challenge is taping a successful, accident free, happy hunt.
Success depends on what your goals and intentions are.
2.If you're going to walk the walk then learn how to talk the talk........we don't film------we TAPE, SHOOT, VIDEO.......filming in the woods the way all the shows are done now is virtually impossible. TAPE......
NOw......IMO......1 hunter, 1 camera operator. Both need to COMMUNICATE in order to get the best video shots they can. Make a shot list of what is effective to telling your story. TRY to get as many as possible without rolling B stock\or 'faking' it. But in order to EFFECTIVELY tell your story there has to be fluid CONTINUITY which is part of cut aways, B roll, fake shots, etc. and learning how to make them MATCH the original footage.
This is another reason you need to have an expert camera operator\technician WHO KNOWS HOW TO OPERATE the camera and its NUANCES.
Ground or treestand is individual choice. Non important question

Now HD vs. SDI........If you can afford all the necessary support equipment that goes with GOOD HD cameras and field equipment, go for it. If you get the proper stuff to shoot, record, view, make copies, store, sound, edit, etc. and can afford it..........DO IT.....
HD is all there and more.
I know this because I am an HD video Engineer having worked in HD since 1992 with the 1st generation cameras all the way to alot of what are being manufactured now.
The Process of Production is: Begin with the HIGHEST QUALITY you can shoot with......and it gets worse the closer you get to broadcast.
Most of the smaller prosumer HD cameras still have the ability to output or record SDI anyway if you must feel the need to save a few bucks.

Now audio......who cares if its wireless as long as your hunter has a mic on him for individually recorded audio. Yes, wireless is convenient........and expensive if you get good systems. In the field you should have a minimum of 2 sources--your onboard mic and another\preferably on another person\hunter. He can talk and communicate with the operator by whispering BECAUSE the camera operator SHOULD be wearing a headset and MONITORING THE LEVELS of audio. If properly set he can whisssssspeeeer........and be heard cleanly and clearly!

Please guys. Study and learn more about video and audio. Hunting forums--in my opinion--aren't the place to find out about it. I come here and get really frustrated answering silly questions about it.
Go to a good video forum for video answers. Go to a hunting forum for hunting answers.

Ok I"m thru being cynical......