HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Does calling duck really work?
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 08:09 PM
Californiadoctor

Default Does calling duck really work?

This morning while duck hunting I heard a sound that I instantly recognized as a hunter using a duck call and notthe vocalization of areal duck. I did not see the hunter but still had no trouble telling it was a human and not a duck. This hunter was not unskilled at calling; I have never heard someone call a duckwhere I didn't immediately know it was not a real duck.

This got me to wondering that if I can easily tell the difference between a real duck and a hunter using a duck call, is it possible that a duck can not? and itwill respond to a human calling ducks the same way it wouldto what it believes are other ducks?However, itis hard to believe that a duck can not tell the difference between an artificial call and the real thing. It maybe just as likely that ducks that fly into shotgun range would have done so whether they had been called or not.Another possibility is that ducks realize that the sound they are hearing is not being made by another duck but do not recognizethat it is a predator trying to mimic the call of a duck to drawducks into range.

Is there any real evidence that using a duck call results in taking more ducks than just waiting for a duck to come into range through pure chance?

Caldoc