HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - A good day - 20min and a hot barrel
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 02:08 PM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: A good day - 20min and a hot barrel

Tahquamenon

In Idaho (sabotloader correct me if I am off), you can still hunt with an ML and take 400/yard kills during their regular firearm seasonif you and your ML have the skill and ability.
True....

You just cannot carry a scoped ML during their ML season.
True, it has to have a pivoting hammer, open ignition - percussion/flint ignition, loose powder or sub, no smokless, all lead conicals .428 or larger or PRB, no PowerBelts, No glass optics.

Which I think really should have stopped at limiting the optics versus dictating a open ignition percussion or flint.
It would in most cases but - it was a matter that the inline does not look right during a ML season so they were banned.

Theirissue against inlineswas really against the longer range capability as supposed reliability.
I really believe that was the main issue + looks to the well organized Trad clubs in the state.

However I rarely have relibility issues with any of my sidelocks, so I am not sure what they where thinking.
I have stated this before but there is nothing that an Idaho legal inline of the past could do any better than I can do with the Renegade sidelocks that I own... + there is nothing wrong with switching barrels to a GM-LRH - cause it looks OK I guess.

However, the Idaho ML rules don't seem to prohibit creedmore and diopter open sights so really you can get right back to the 250+ yards with a sidelock, faster riflingand a bore sized conical if you were so minded.
They do not

The new rules also removed the use of sabots and believe it or not Power Belts which are made in Nampa, ID, but have the plastic gas seal...

Changes back are being discussed - but have not heard a word on what they are going to be... I have a feeling you are going to have to declare what you are going to hunt with and be limited to that... Archery - Centerfire - Muzzleloader. We do have a clause for "short range" seasons that does include ML's but very few seasons....

The new regs will be out in black & white April 1...

One other thing there are a lot of hunting areas in this state 300/400 yard shots are quite common... very seldom up here in the north but in the canyons and the deserts of southern Idaho they are there.

I'f I ever move to or hunt inIdaho (a distinct possibility to buy land not move),
Not a bad thought - my grandfather always said "buying land is a super investment they are not making much anymore."

mike