HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - A good day - 20min and a hot barrel
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Tahquamenon
Typical Buck

Default RE: A good day - 20min and a hot barrel

I would not worry about what anyone thinks but with any longer range shot on game,one needsto expect that opinions will be wide and will vary. I also don't really see this as ammunition for the anti's either traditionalists or PETA loving types.

For the most part in the areas of the countrywhere the most deer are harvested, the longest shot opportunities are typically not more than 150 yards. Most all of which are much less like in the 30-100 yard category. I'd bet money the average is about 50 yards.

In Michigan (one of if not the highest harvest states for deer) in 2006 our friends at the MDNR estimate 45,600 deer were harvested. Of that 10% or 45,600 with Muzzleloader of any type. I know Michigan terrain quite well in both the LP and UP and there simply is not that many shot opportunities beyond 200 yards on either private or public land. There are, but not very many.

In states where theywish to limit the range of shot/kills, then really they should limit or prohibit the optics used not the ML type.

With open sights or 1x optics, most folks will not even think about a shot much beyond 100 yards regardless of the type of ML used. At least I would not.

In Idaho (sabotloader correct me if I am off), you can still hunt with an ML and take 400/yard kills during their regular firearm seasonif you and your ML have the skill and ability.
You just cannot carry a scoped ML during their ML season. Which I think really should have stopped at limiting the optics versus dictating a open ignition percussion or flint. Theirissue against inlineswas really against the longer range capability as supposed reliability. However I rarely have relibility issues with any of my sidelocks, so I am not sure what they where thinking.

However, the Idaho ML rules don't seem to prohibit creedmore and diopter open sights so really you can get right back to the 250+ yards with a sidelock, faster riflingand a bore sized conical if you were so minded.

I have seen first hand a marksman with Pedesoli Mortimer Caplockin .45 Whitworth setup with a really nice creedmore/diopter sight and he can shoot well inside of 6" all day long at 200 yards from a benchrest. I've also seen this same shooter/rifle shoot much farther on out to 800 yards with good enough accuracy to harvest deer. He does not hunt game though, he shoots target only.

I'f I ever move to or hunt inIdaho (a distinct possibility to buy land not move), I wil make sure I show up with a .45 Whitworth caplock and a creedmore sight that I have alot of practice with.

M2C

Tahquamenon