HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - how long have you been using one
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 07:47 AM
alleyyooper
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how long have you been using one

My little brother got me into it in 1975. He belonged to a group (all Night shifters)at work that would go shoot 3 times a week at a local range. He invited me to go along and we would take turns shooting hisT/CHawkins. Most of the other guys would also let me take a turn with theirs. They had mostly Hawkins of one brand or another Like the Browning, T/C and Lymans.
I was loaned an old 69 cal (I think) smooth bore for Muzzle loader season that fall here in Michigan. didn't get a deer with it as I never saw one.
My brother bought me a T/C hawkins kit For Christmas that year.
I shot & hunted with it till 1992 when I could no longer make the sights work with my ageing eye sight. I got a T/C Plains rifle and put a 4 power weaver K 4 scope on it.
My wife saw me eyeing a Remington 700 every time we went where they were sold. She bought me a 54 cal for Christmas of 1998 (I think) or 1999.
Two years a go I was moaning the fact I couldn't find 54 cal sabots localy, Kare told me to buy a 50 cal then. Nothing triped my trigger that was on the market so I turned to a used Remington 700 50cal.
Funny I learned about buying sabots direct from MMP and use my 54 mostly now. I still shoot all of them though. The hawkins is stil a favorite and a joy to shoot since I put a peep site on it.

Al