HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - A good day - 20min and a hot barrel
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2008, 06:08 PM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: A good day - 20min and a hot barrel

Zugunruhe

What we, us inline users, really need to be careful with is that the general population does not assume everyone with an inline - even an Omega - can make these types of shots as a norm. I really feel that is what Underclocked was trying to say in his post...

I feel you are adding fuel to the fire so far as the traditionalist stance against inlines.
This is a huge concern across the nation... Nevermind that back in the day that marksmen could shoot a conical from a sidelock 1200 yards and kill a man... that does not matter... what matters is the feeling that an inline has this tremendous advantage over a more conventional muzzleloader. This argument was used in Idaho this year and inlines were declared illegal for ML hunting in Idaho - even though we could not use a modern inline anyway - no scopes - no 209 or rifle primers. Because of the common thought that inlines are far superior, that was all that was needed to get them banned here. and many other states are looing at the same thing.

Again in UC's post he says...

I have mixed feelings about such stories being posted on the internet.
I do not think you read that from the heart - he was not nay-saying anything about the accomplishment and it was a great one... he is saying that posting such a thing will have it's adversities.... spaniel's post is going to be used over and over again by the the organized traditional groups as leverage to get Fish and Game depatments to swing to thier side. It will appear on sites you have never seen and it will be used as leverage. There will be nothing mentioned about spaniel's skills and his dedicated practice - It will be played to say look what a guy with an inline can do.

So in general I wish the ranges had never been posted also - not to diminish what he accomplished - but not to serve as ammunition in the traditional vs. modern muzzleloader.

I hope more than UC and I see the point...