HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Can we make a difference?
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2008, 02:18 PM
Rick James
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Can we make a difference?

I can share with you what we have seen at Dan's place and at my place. His place has been under QDMA for 7 years now and mine has been under for 3 years, and the numbers in our journals don't lie.

In 2005, I hunted a total of approx 96 hours on stand at my place in PA. In that timeframe I saw (fawns removed from the numbers)eleven different 1.5+ y/o does, and three different1.5+ y/o bucks. We killed 3 does and no bucks on the property that year. I saw one animal that may have been 2.5 years old, the other bucks were 1.5.

In 2006, I hunted a total of approx 96 hours on stand at my place in PA. In that timefram I saw (fawns again removed from the numbers) seven different 1.5+ year does, and five different 1.5+ y/o bucks. We killed 3 does, and 1 buck on the property. 2 of the bucks were probably 2.5, the rest were 1.5. There was sign of others we did not see that were probably around and 3.5+.

In 2007, I hunted a total of approx 88 hours on stand at my place in PA. in that timeframe I saw (fawns removed from the numbers) seven different 1.5+ year old does, andeight different 1.5+ year old bucks. We killed 3 does and 1 buck on the property. 4 of the eight different bucks were 2.5 y/o deer @ 100" or better, and 2 of those 4 older deer were at least 3.5+. Previously we had only averaged maybe 1 deer per season sighted at 100" or better.

Who knows, maybe there are other conditions I am not including into these results but as I see it..........I'm making a difference. I'll continue to do what I'm doing as long as I have the $$$ and time. It's exhausting though considering it's a 4 hour drive each way and I can't keep all the trespassers out.......but for now I'll keep at it as best I can.

Edit** - Added a bit more info...........[8D].