HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Who would shoot?
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Dirt2
Typical Buck

Default RE: Who would shoot?

This happens to me quite regularly. I love to be out in the woods while the deer are rutting, so the fact that my tags are filled makes no appreciable difference in my approach. I'm going to be out their dark-to-dark if I've got the day off work.

In '04 I killed a 144-gross buck, my best ever. I continued to stillhunt with no tags, carrying only my pistol. On the last day of the season, I had a 150-class buck standing broadside and unaware at 22 yards. I didn't shoot.

In '06 I killed a gnarly old buck on the next-to-the-last day. I still had a doe tag so I carried my rifle the next day when I went in to retrieve my buck. On the way in, I had a 140-class buck dead to rights at 40 yards. I let him walk.

I detail that to give me "props" to urge people to look at this situation differently. It is a privilege to even see a big buck. Enjoy the sight! Think of it as motivation for next year. That buck is probably going to be there again, so now you've got extra reason to get out and scout!

In my opinion, people who would shoot in this situation are miserable SOBs, our classic spoiled American with an overdeveloped sense of entitlement. They're the type who think in some twisted way that they are "owed" that buck. This type of person is someone I wouldn't want to hunt with. He--, I don't even want to know them!