HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Gun Safe
Thread: Gun Safe
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Rebel Hog
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Gun Safe

[quote]ORIGINAL: jeep kid

I really don't know. I went with 12 pins on the door, 40min fire rating, gun capacity, and of course price. Ours isn't glossy and fancy either.
12 bolts is good, what size are they? 40 min fire rating (fair), remember you only get what you pay for...

I would think what makes the best safe would be fire ratings and weight.
No that's not all that makes a good safe.What makes a good safehas many factors for the external, like Door Plate Thickness and thickness on the other 5 sides, U.L. Combination Locks,BurglarToolResistance (TL 30, TL 60, etc.,etc.,), Torch Resistance (TR 30, Tr 60, etc.,etc.,) andExplosive Resistance(TX Rating).

Now for the Internal, the Lock Case shouldhave a minimum of 3 brass key change tumblers, haveInternal Relockers & External Relockers, the door should have Relockers (minimum of 2) and a minimum of 1 1/2 hr Fire Rating.

Everything I stated above are Minimums, there are otherOptions to make them better like, U.L. Ratings on Combination Locks, Combination Lock casesProtectedorUnprotected, DoorRelockers (different styles) and of course Fire Ratings..

Most safes have 2" overlapping metal strips or metal tabs welded tothe inside of thedoor on the hinge side. So removing the hinges will do no good.

But, after the trouble with the Browning and seeing how the door is designed, I would not buy another without taking it apart and checking to see how everything is made.
I have a Browning Medallion, but all U.L. Rated.