HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - scope power for shotgun?
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2008, 04:23 AM
kry226

Default RE: scope power for shotgun?

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11
my guess is that most of the deer will be about 35-40 yards so wat scope would you reccommend i still might have some shots up to 100 yards though....
also one more thing what are some good slugs? i have a rifled barrel
At those ranges, the 4x willl be awesome. I myself have take deer out to 70 yards with mine. But I also missed a very large buck at 140 yards. Is that shot makable with a 4x scope? Absolutely! But that shot would be inarguably easier to pull off with a 7x, 9x, or even a 10x scope. Do you NEED a higher power shotgun scope? Of course not. But again, for me, I am restricted to my shotgun for most of my hunting, so I need a scope that adds to the gun's versatility. With the 4x scope I have, I believe I am losing some potential of the gun. With a 9x or 10x, I'll certainly be able to tap into the gun's longer range capabilty with confidence, and do so without breaking the bank.

As for slugs, you should try all the major brands to see which your gun likes best. Federal, Remington, Winchester, Hornady, Brenneke all make good slugs, and unless the first brand you try groups 1" at 100 yards, you should try them all. Make sure you use sabot slugs.