HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 41-Official Team Rut Junkies
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2007, 09:40 AM
kshunter
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 41-Official Team Rut Junkies

Sorry guys, but I couldn't pull through with a buck this year. For one reason or another, things wouldn't fall my way. Today is the last day, and I'm stuck here at work.

To recap:It has been a good season that Ihad lots of good encounters, and saw plenty of bucks. We were busier this fall than we've ever been, involving everything with moving, new jobs, buying a house, and especially the hundreds of hours we've already spent renovating it. But we were still fortunate enough to still get 40-50 times to bowhunt. The weather was harder than normal, with a near record amount of snowfall for December, and the bad icestorm. It usually was fun hunting in the weather, but definately changed the patterns for the deer. Suprisingly, the best deer hunting I had was the last 3 weeks of December.

Probably the hardest conflict in the actual hunting aspect this year was the change in the agriculture. I hunt 2 areas 95% of the time. The one spot has one primary field that didn't get planted, and stayed wheat stubble, which the deer didn't really like. The other spot was planted late, and didn't have wheat to attract deer until mid-Nov. Plus the deer numbers in the same spot seemed much lower than normal.

Fortunately, I was able to find some new areas on public which will be good hunting next fall during October. Overall, it was a good season. Getting a deer would've been the bonus. My wife went out hunting with me all but 2-3 times, so it was a great way for us to spend some time together, doing what we love. That's what it's all about anyways. I made a nice video log throughout the year of the ups, downs, and everthing in between.

Congrats to you guys on your deer! I had a great time being part of your team! Time to go and fill the freezers on some late-season doe tags