HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - "Baiting Vs. Food Plots"
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2007, 07:06 PM
Cloudster

Default RE: "Baiting Vs. Food Plots"

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: Cloudster

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Food plots are far different than bait piles as far as I'm concerned. I'm not going to get into the legalities or ethics of it tho but look at it this way.

A food plot could be 50 acres or it could be a 1/4 acre. You cannot put these into the same catagorie as a pile of corn 10 yards from a stand. A deer could visit the food plot and never offer an inrange bow shot.

That being said, in PA it's legal to plant and hunt over food plots, it is not legal to bait. Why is a food plot different from a farmers corn or alphalpha field?

Why is a pile of apples different than hunting a 50 acre apple orchard.

Your poll is too vague.
So if I spread my "bait pile" or corn over 1/4 acer I should be good. I think that hunting over a pile of corn may give you a little bit of an advantage over the food plot but......they are both as good at "drawing" deer to your stand....if you sit over your food plot you will get the job done just the same as sitting over a pile of corn, it just might take you a day or two longer.

C
Is that what is done for bowhunting?

Answer the rest of my questions as well, not just one that you want to make a point with. What is different between a food plot and a corn field? What is different between a food plot and an alphalpha field or soybean field or an apple orchard or a acorn flat etc....Do you catagorized putting a pile of corn out the same as all the forementioned fields?
Okay......

The difference between a Food plot and a Corn field, Alphalpha field, Soybean field, and an Apple Orchard is. One is put there to attract deer (Food Plots....weather it is clover, soybeans corn fields etc.), or bait them to a specific area, the others arethere for agricultural purposes/reasons (Mainly feeding people or live stock).

Do I categorize putting a pile of corn out the same as the fore mentioned fields? Most defiantly not, nor did I ever try to. I was only pointing out your misguided logic in the statement made in your first reply....the fact that if the plot is bigger then a pile of corn it is better, that is just plain silly.

I believe that there is little difference in baiting deer with a clover field vs. a corn pile, they both have the same effect.....drawing deer near the hunter. I feel that people have very little merit saying one is better than the other, or more ethical.

I am not trying to tell you one method is correct, better, or more ethical. If the rule book in your state says one way is correct, then that is what the hunter needs to follow, it's that simple. I am saying that there is very little difference between the two.

C