HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer with my 22-250 ??????????
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2007, 06:50 AM
Bluegunner
Fork Horn

Default RE: Deer with my 22-250 ??????????

Soilarch,

Have faith in your 22-250, it's a great gun using the right bullet. For deer and hog, I use Barnes 53gr TripleShock pushed along by 35gr of Hodgens Varget (one great load).
Just a quick story for you!
Three springs ago, I was hunting Turkeys in Northern Nebraska. It was a windy day and I was walking along a river bottom out of the wind. I would walk a hundred yards, call, listen and walk some more. I had moved about half a mile using this routine when both a hen and Tom answered my call. I immediately got seated in a patch of small trees, trusting in my camo to due the rest. It wasn't a full minute and the hen walked by me looking to kick some butt and the Tom wasn't far behind. He was huge (biggest Merriam I've ever seen) and would be walking about 12 feet in front of me. I was ready and concentrating and as he passed in front I dropped the hammer. The gun fired and he was still standing there, I was so shocked that I didn't think to pump in a second round and try again. Of course, before I got my mind functioning again he ran away. I couldn't believe it, how could I have missed?
After calming down, I discovered that as I moved my gun right to left following the bird, a small tree moved itself about an inch in front of my barrel and took the full load of bb's from my gun. Not one bb got past the tree! I was concentrating so hard on the bird that I didn't register the tree. Didn't feel to smart that day!!!!