HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Another still hunting question
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2007, 11:44 AM
JNTURK
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Another still hunting question

in CA that is about all i do is still hunt...or spot/staulk with terrain permitting.......if the area you are hunting is as thick as you say it is and you "spook a deer, it is right on the other side of a thicket from me.".......it may not be the best terrain to still hunt.....there are areas that this is very effective and areas it is not effective at all....couple things you can do IMO

if this area you mentioned in the original post is your land...during the spring get in there and cut some good size walking lanes..also clear the underbrush so you can walk quietly..this will ensure u to get very close.......the object of still hunting is to see/hear/smell (yes it is possible) the deer before they know you are there.....in very thick brush that is almost impossible....

the posts before about how to hold your gun and bino's are very good...i usually sholder my rifle and have both hands for bino's and my hands also help me get over logs, move brush, etc. to stay quiet....again the theory is to see them before they see you...if you accomplish this then getting your gun ready to fire will not be an issue...

another thing you can try is "sneaky peeks" these go over your feet to keep you walking quietly..if ground is not wet and land permits it they can be very effective...

also, if you do jump a deer still hunting and the deerhas no idea what you are..other then something that is walking in the woods...there are great odds that the deer will only go a little ways (20-50 yards) from you and stand still to see what you are when you move...this is whe you need to stay still for as long as possible until you hear the deer moving again..then try to get where you can see him/her again