HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Wanting to hunt Elk
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2007, 10:51 PM
ironranger
Typical Buck

Default RE: Wanting to hunt Elk

Johnny2, I'd second what has been said by EKM, Shatodavis, and others that have more elk hunting experience than I have had. It is very hard work and not for everyone. Most of those I have went hunting with in Colorado on DIY hunts got discouraged for one reason or another and aren't doing it anymore. You have to want it.

Just as an example, last fall I went on my 2nd archery elk hunt in CO. I started shooting and hiking in May and actually wished I'd started earlier. I started on flat ground for a few weeks and then switched to hilly courses and hit it hard for about 6 of 7 days each week all summer and up until I was leaving along with drinking tons of water. It paid off as I was able to hunt hard from 9500 to 12000 feet and on the 10th day of a 13 day hunt I arrowed a bull. Not the biggest bull in the woods but the trip was already a success before I released the arrow as I'd seen elk every day, I was hunting with a group of positive, hard working hunters, and I saw alot of great scenery and animals. To me, that's what it's about. Don't get me wrong, I love elk meat but the whole experience of planning, scouring maps, hiking the hills, shooting the gun or bow, sharing it with friends, and being mentally ready for a challenge is what does it for me.

If you can swing the cost of an outfitter that would be a route to take and see how you like it. Then if that goes good and you figure you can handle the mountains etc. then you can look at other options if you decide to try it again. That being said, as Shatodavis suggested, get with the physician regardless of which way you want to go and see what he/she feels you can do and then you can go from there. I believe there are some outfitters who charge around $3500 (Ballpark) for a hunt but you probably won't take home a monster bull for that price.