HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Buck Roar
Thread: Buck Roar
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2007, 09:22 AM
IAhuntr
Typical Buck

Default RE: Buck Roar

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

i bought one and so far everytime i have used it, it has scared off the deer i was grunting at. not saying it doesn't work, it just hasn't worked for me in my area.
In my experiences withgruntingin bucks, ifyou are trying tocall indeer that are in visual range, a regular tending grunt is a much safer bet to start.If the deer doesn't respond to using the call as a regular buck grunt andstarts heading away, then you can try it as a roar as you have nothing to lose.
Withyounger, non-dominantbucks that are closer to your stand site, the roar can be intimidating, especially during the rut when smaller bucks have already been on thelosing end of a fight. Keep in mind the roar is a very aggressive call. The roar excels at bringing in bigger deer that are further out of eyesight. They come running in to see who is in their area.
This season was my first opportunity to try the roar, and once I used it mid-morning when I wasn't seeing any more buck movement. Itbrought in three bucks inside of ten minutes (one fork horn, one 2.5 y/o, and one dominant 4.5 y/o). I'm very confident these bucks would nothave all congregated to my stand location at the same time without the call as they all came from different directions and all very intent on finding the source of the call.