HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Would you turn him in?
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2007, 08:00 AM
tsoc
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Would you turn him in?

I voted to turn the people in but to do it without divulging your identity.(I can't spell anonomously.LOL) Most of the known poachers in our area are not particularly stable.A couple have criminal histories,assault,drug convictions.SO the fear of retalliation is well founded with these people.
I have turned in poachers on 4 occaisions,one was for shooting a doe in someones lawn,one was for shooting from the road,two were for baiting.SO I just don't turn a blind eye to it.The unfortunate thing is that it is really difficult to get a conviction on poachers and if they do the fines or punishments are not severe enough.You have to be a complete moron to be convicted in our area.
I know a poacher who has shot a mechanical deer in one instance,had a taxidermist turn him in for shooting a deer with a rifle during archery season and the guy is still poaching big bucks every year and still buy's a license just like you and I do.
So there is an attitude of why bother,they wont be able to get a conviction and if they do the punishment is a joke.Refer back to me having turned people in on four occaisions.I don't condone it.
I do feel it is a matter of degree,am I going to turn someone in for using a spouses tag,friends tag.No I am not.I know people who fill tags for other people and give them the entire deer.illegal yes,common practice,management permits are legally transferrable in NY.
I do believe it is a judgement call,and while I hold the game laws in high regard like all laws there is hypocrisy.Laws are laws and we all break them,speeding,tax laws,infidelity,stealing in various ways,ie the extra cable box and many other examples.
I am not here to judge everyone,not my place for a lot of reasons.If someone is doing something totally horrendous such as nine bucks,they are getting turned in.